Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sandwiches and beer are quite similar in that simple ingredients create extraordinary flavors when paired correctly.



To the right is a Chicken/Apple Sausage grilled then butterflied, caramelized onions, and
Pull My Pork's favorite the Fresh Mozzarella melted into the butterflied sausage. Yellow Mustard and Mayo finish this off before it was pressed.








I could have used the soles of an old pair of Samba Classics as bread for either of these sandwiches and they still would have been delicious.

To the left is a Tomato, Basil, Yellow Zucchini, S/P, and again the Fresh Mozzarella. Served on a simple toasted 12 grain w/ dash of balsamic. Of course the tomato and basil were grown with love in the urban garden. I included the s/p in the ingredients list because a long long long time ago the earl of sandwich taught me to always season tomatoes. Always.











This beer foursome is a classic good news bad news scenario.




Wolhaver's Brown (otter creek brewing)
Long Trail Black Berry Wheat
Ploeeko Gold Pale Ale (anderson valley brewing company)
Nectar IPA (nectar ales)

Bad news first, I should have bought the Acme Brown rather then the Wolhaver's Brown but live and learn. Wolhaver's Brown Ale is sub par on numerous levels, so many that i will refrain from going into detail. STRIKE OUT! Although the folks over at Longtrail make some great beers that I really enjoy I'm not particular to the Blackberry Wheat. It is the kind of beer that is left in the murky water at the bottom of cooler after all the others have been drank a la Sam Adams Cherry Wheat circa New Years Eve 1999 (think about it). There are plenty of other fruit beers I would fancy before this one. STRIKE OUT! Now for the good news, as mentioned the hippie- mountainwich previously, the people over at AVBC are really doing it this year and the beers they are putting out are worth seeking especially those in a can. I am all for the can revolution and I like that a beer this good can be made in a completely solar powered brewery. HOME-RUN! The Nectar Ales Nectar IPA does the trick. A multitude of citrus tastes are prevalent immediately followed by that sought after IPA dry finish. This is an IPA that goes well with about 4 more. A top tier IPA it is not but it is tasty enough to have a few. GROUND RULE DOUBLE! I decided to keep with the baseball analogies previously used by the Earl. In the end I went 2/4 a solid batting average of .500 well above the Mendoza line.

2 comments:

  1. glad to hear that AVBC did a great job with the pale ale in a can also. i may start getting that instead of the Dale's Pale Ale every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and only rule of seasoning tomatoes:

    1. You must season your tomatoes


    love what you have done here.

    ReplyDelete